Saturday, March 31, 2012

Evans seeks return to county commission

Evans seeks return to county commission


Sun-News report
LAS CRUCES — D. Kent Evans, who served on the Doña Ana County Commission from 2000 to 2008, has filed to run again.

Evans represented District 4 during his eight years on the commission. This year, because of redistricting, he will run in District 5. He is the only Republican in that race. Democrats Scott Adam Krahling, Leticia Durate Benavidez and Benjie Luchini will meet in the primary. Krahling and Benavidez are both incumbents, with Krahling also changing districts because of redistricting.

Evans was forced to step down in 2008 because of term limits. He ran unsuccessfully in 2009 for the Public Regulation Commission. He touts efforts to improve mental health services, start a health collaborative and bring professionalism to the county as accomplishments during his eight years in office.

"Once you've been on the County Commission for eight years, I would have to say that you now understand how the county works and all the people involved," Evans said. "I want to run because I like helping the county and my constituents. For eight years, I was honored to serve the whole county, not just my district. I enjoy helping my constituents, but I never forgot I was representing the interests of the whole county, from Hatch to Sunland Park."

As a commissioner, Evans was active on both the state and national Association of Counties.

Evans moved to Doña Ana County in 1975. After working three years at the NASA White Sands Test Facility, he spend 20 years with the Physical Science Laboratory at New Mexico State University. He has since served on the New Mexico Spaceport Authority.

Evans and his wife, Anna Mae, who ran for a seat on the county commission in 2008, will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary in June. They have three grown children, who all live in Las Cruces.
"This is where we want to live, and I want to do what I can to make this an even better community for others to raise their children," he said.

The primary election is on June 5. The general election is on Nov. 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment